Photo: Herianus Herianus / EyeEm / Getty Images
Staying safe during a storm is a priority. Here are a few tips to keep you, your family and your pets safe during inclement weather.
- Prepare for a power outage. Keep flashlights and candles nearby. If you have a generator, make sure it works and get extra fuel because you never know how long it will take for the power to come back on.
- Charge your electronics. You don't want your cellphone to die during a power outage so charge all your electronics ahead of time. It also helps to have a portable phone charger on hand.
- Stay updated. Tune in to a local radio station for storm information and warnings.
- Have your pantry stocked. Stock up on bottled water and foods that don't need to be cooked. If you have pets, make sure you have enough of their food as well.
- Watch where you park. Falling branches can wreak havoc on your car so avoid parking under trees.
- Stay warm. Bundle up with extra blankets and sweatshirts. If you have a fireplace, keep extra kindling and firewood stored in an easily accessible and dry place.
- Stay inside. Between high winds and lightening, the safest place you can be is inside. That goes for your pets as well. Don't take the risk of going out or driving during a severe storm.