Photo by Mary A. Brown / Getty Images
The 2019 MTV Video Music Awards will take over the Prudential Center on Monday and Newark officials are warning that the event will be "like a major blizzard." According to NJ.com, Newark Public Safety Director Anthony F. Ambrose said “it would be a mistake to underestimate the impact the VMA Awards are going to have on the downtown and the main roads in and out of the city."
They're even encouraging downtown businesses to either send employees home early or let them work from home. Here are the lane and road closures planned for Monday:
- Mulberry Street between Lafayette Street to Market Street will close at 8:30 a.m. Monday and at 10:30 a.m. the closure will be extended from Raymond Boulevard and Green Street. It won't reopen until 2 a.m. Tuesday.
- Market Street will be closed from Washington Street to McCarter Highway starting at 10 a.m. Monday until 2 a.m. Tuesday.
- Edison Place between Broad Street and McCarter Highway will be closed starting at 10 a.m. Monday until 2 a.m. Tuesday.
- Northbound lanes on Broad Street will be closed starting at 4 p.m. Monday until 2 a.m. Tuesday.
- West-bound lanes on Lafayette Street will be closed starting at 10 a.m. Monday until 2 a.m. Tuesday.
Read the NJ.com story here